Sunday, December 20, 2009

So I was browsing Hulu the other day...

First post on this blog since September.. and first post from me since August. With winter coming though I should have more time to try to keep up with all my blogs. So let's get on with it...

I should explain that my monitor I use for work has Picture-In-Picture capability, so I plug my Xbox into that monitor as well as my work PC and use the PlayOn plugin allowing Xbox Media Center to stream Hulu through my PC to the Xbox using the secondary input on my monitor so I can literally watch shows while I am hard at work fixing stubborn server issues at hospitals. :)

I usually use Hulu to stream the latest TV shows I may have missed, but on this particular day there were no shows aired that I hadn't already seen, so I started browsing their Feature Films section. As I am browsing I was pleasantly surprised to find "So I Married An Axe Murderer.." in all of the selections. I immediately started watching it and man did it take me back.

Mike Meyers is a comedic genius. For those that haven't seen the movie, here is a plot summary. Charlie Mackenzie (played by Meyers) is a poet who has had a string of failed relationships due to what his friend Tony (played by Anthony LaPaglia) calls mild delusional paranoia. Ever time Charlie starts falling for a woman he comes up with some bogus reason to leave her, leaving his latest girlfriend after accusing her of stealing his cat.
Looking for some Haggis to surprise his parents (played by Brenda Fricker and Mike Meyers himself plays Stuart Mackenzie his father). Charlie goes into a butcher shop where he meets Harriet (played by Nancy) the owner of the shop. He is immediately intrigued by Harriet and uses Haggis as an excuse to keep going back and seeing her until he musters up the courage to ask her out.
After a few successful dates Charlie starts noticing some odd things about Harriet that coincide with an article his mother had read to him from her "news paper" (which is actually just a local tabloid) about the notorious Mrs. X who kills all her husbands on their wedding night. Tony tries to convince him he is just being paranoid, and this time he actually listens and decides to ask Harriet to marry him, and that is where I'll leave off as the rest you have to see for yourself!

If you haven't heard at least one or two lines from this movie at some point in your life I am pretty sure you have been living in a cave. It is truly one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I am so glad that I found it and was able to watch it again for the first time in years. Do yourself a favor and check it out either from your local video store or on Hulu by clicking here.

1 comment: