Friday, July 11, 2008

Definitely, Maybe

Starring:
Ryan Reynolds
Abigail Breslin
Rachel Weisz
Kevin Kline
Elizabeth Banks
Isla Fisher

Written and Directed by: Adam Brooks

This is one movie that flew way under the big screen radar in my opinion, it didn't have much advertising and the box office opening was only $11.4 million with a total US gross of $31.9 million, which is why I didn't catch it until it came out on DVD.

Ryan Reynolds offers up one of his best performances in this film, and after seeing him in National Lampoons Van Wilder I really didn't think I could ever picture him as anything but the crazy, funny party guy. This movie proved that theory wrong. He takes this role very serious and does an excellent job portraying a Ad Executive going through a divorce and trying to explain to his daughter Maya (Abigail Breslin) how her parents met. In telling his story we learn how he aspired to be a politician hoping to get a big break working the Bill Clinton campaign and also about past loves of his which include Rachel Weisz, Isla Fisher, and Elizabeth Banks who all at one point broke Reynolds heart whether they truly knew it or not. Kevin Kline plays a small role as a professor in the movie, but as always, no matter how small the role he adds charisma and zing.

The movie is rated PG-13 which I consider fair as there is some swearing and sexual language used.

If you are looking for a movie to watch with your spouse or significant other I would highly recommend this film as my wife and I enjoyed it highly.

Seeing how this can be classified as a "chick flick" I let my wife rate the movie.
Her rating is 7 out of 10.

No comments: