Sunday, July 6, 2008

Hancock


Starring:

Will Smith
Charlize Theron
Jason Bateman

Written by:
Vincent Ngo & Vince Gilligan

Directed by Peter Berg

Hancock was a great action movie that supplied the proper amount of comedy, drama, and even a little romance. Will Smith provided a powerful performance, you could really feel the emotion he potrayed. Jason Bateman and Charlize Theron also gave excellent performances, all three really fit well together on the big screen.

I feel the story as a whole was well written, though I feel that Hancock's history deserved its own story with flashbacks or some other kind of visual, instead of just a few lines of dialogue explaining it. The antagonist deserved more history as well.

Hancock is by no means your typical superhero type movie, it is more racy and off the wall. I think the PG-13 rating is fair. there is no nudity, the language is fairly mild though the F word is brought up once or twice, and the violence level is on the same level as Spiderman, but the gore level may be a bit higher.

The movie had me laughing and definitely held my attention with its great action sequences and special effects.

Overall I give this movie a 8 out of 10.


**SPOILERS - Click here to view my comments which may contain spoilers!


I feel they should have really gone deeper into the history between Hancock and Mary Embrey (Charlize Theron) I don't understand what "we were built in pairs" means. Also when Mary says "They find you through me" who are They and is the man with one hand from the bank robbery somehow tied to them?

2 comments:

Jesse Hoekstra said...

Good review! I really liked this movie. I liked the fact that it wasn't a typical super hero movie in that it wasn't an origin story and the trailers did not really tell you what the movie was really about.

Jones said...

Glad you liked the review! Sounds like you and I share the same views on this one!