Saturday, September 27, 2008

Burn After Reading


Starring:
George Clooney
Frances McDormand
Brad Pitt
John Malkovich
Tilda Swinton

Directors:
Ethan Coen
Joel Coen

Written by:
Joel Coen
Ethan Coen

Burn After Reading is the next movie created by the bizarre minds of the Coen brothers since their multiple Oscar winning film No Country for Old Men. And when I say bizarre, they seem to have carried on the tradition with this movie. I couldn't help but send out a tweet after I saw this movie proclaiming it "The #1 WTF movie of the year". Because literally, that three word phrase passed through my head multiple times while I was viewing this film.

This movie features an all star cast, most of which have earned academy awards, including the directors themselves. Although this time around I don't think they are shooting for oscar gold, however, I could be wrong as a variety of different films lately have garnered those honors. The movie plays out as John Malkovich's character, Osbource Cox, has quit the CIA after being forced into a demotion. A couple of gym employees get a hold of some information that belongs to him, and they believe this to be highly classified information. They hope to get a "reward" out of Osbourne for it and instead find themselves threatening extortion. And in the mix is George Clooney who plays is a nervous sex crazed maniac who is having an affair with Osbourne's wife played by Tilda Swinton and also gets greatly intertwined with all the chaos.

In this movie you find some of the most bizarre circumstances taking place. You wonder how in the world could something like this happen and I couldn't help but agree with one of John Malkovich's lines where proclaims that everyone around him are morons. But the movie does bring a few unsuspecting moments that really change the pace of the movie (and also made me say WTF). It also had some pretty good inconspicuois humor and was even more hilarious when the CIA agents come on screen and make their professional analysis of all the chaos.

I would give this movie a 7 out of 10.

2 comments:

Nklpkl said...

Well i haven't seen any of those movies, but if you need me to write a review for Twilight, just let me know. I finally saw it tonite. :)

Jones said...

I just watched this movie over the weekend, and I must say it was one of the most bizaar movies I have ever seen. To me, it was like I watched the whole movie expecting something really great to happen with this all-star cast and it just didn't!