Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Tropic Thunder


Starring:
Ben Stiller
Jack Black
Robert Downey Jr.

Directed by:
Ben Stiller

Written by:
Ben Stiller
Justin Theroux
Etan Cohen

I originally was not interested in this movie at all. I've never been a big Ben Stiller fan, in fact I really don't think there has been a role he played that I liked. To add to that, the only movie he directed that I had ever seen was The Cable Guy and I never understood that movie. Well, I gave this one a chance, and I am so glad I did.

The idea behind this movie is a bunch of "A-list" actors have come together to star in a big budget Vietnam war movie. But since these actors are used to being the main stars and being waited on hand and foot, they find it difficult to work with each other, and the rookie director is unable to manage them appropriately. Taking some desperate advice, the director places the actors away from their hotels and comfortable living and into the jungle to force them to make a movie on schedule and more realistic. From there, the differences between movie magic and real life are blurred and the cast get into more war like circumstances then they realize.

This movie had a huge cast in it. Did I mention Ben Stiller? I hope so, cause he's in it, and I would have to say that I actually liked him in this movie. Funny thing is, this was fairly typical to his acting style. Confused? So am I. I guess I feel his character fit so well in this movie that I didn't find him as awkward or annoying. Still plays the "action star" for this movie. Jack Black plays the controversial, loudmouth "comedian", and he is, well, typical Jack Black. Robert Downey Jr. plays the multiple Oscar winning actor who goes as far as dying his skin to play this role in the movie they are filming, and when the actor starts to play a role he refuses to ever go out of character on or off set until the movie is in consumer hands. What is hilarious about this is he doesn't sound or look anything like Downey Jr. I also found myself pleasantly surprised that Matthew McConaughey was in this movie and that he even had a substantial role.

Then you come to Tom Cruise. I found that he played one of those characters that I just can't stand. Remember when I said I didn't like typical Ben Stiller roles? The character Cruise plays, is along those lines of an annoying Stiller. But yet, I found myself laughing every time Cruise was on screen, because it was so atypical Tom Cruise. It was great to see him stop taking himself so serious and let loose for once.

I would say that I really enjoyed this movie. It wasn't so cheesy a comedy that it was too unrealistic and yet it was still funny. In addition, you do find a good amount of action sequences to accompany the slapstick situations and they tie into the story quite well. And you can't help but laugh at these actors who are either trying to just get by or the ones that just can't seem to let go of the roles that they play.

If I had to rate this movie, I would give an 8 out of 10.

No comments: